Chronic Health Problems Caused by Mercury from Amalgam
- Mercury is the most toxic substance people commonly come in contact with and in the top 3 of toxics causing large numbers of adverse health effects. Dental amalgam is the largest source of mercury in most people who have amalgam fillings or metal crowns over amalgam.
- Over 4000 peer-reviewed or government studies have been compiled which document the mechanisms by which mercury from amalgam fillings is released in significant amounts and causes over 30 chronic health conditions.
- Over 60,000 clinical cases of recovery or significant improvement after amalgam replacement as followed and compiled by doctors have been documented.
- The large NIH epidemiological study NHANES III showeda significant correlation between several chronic health conditions and having more than average number of dental amalgam surfaces. The conditions for which mechanisms of causality were documented and for which recoveries were documented include:
- Autoimmune problems such as arthritis, MS, Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS), Parkinson’s/muscle tremor, Alzheimer’s, muscular & joint pain /fibromyalgia, Crohn’s disease, lupus, scleroderma, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), endometriosis, diabetes.
- Neurological and mood disorders, including memory disorders, depression, schizophrenia, insomnia, anger, anxiety, mental confusion, neuropathy/paresthesia, tinnitus, dizziness/vertigo, headaches/ migraines, epilepsy, ADD, dyslexia, learning disabilities, hearing loss.
- Periodontal diseases such as gingivitis, oral lichen planus, amalgam tattoos, metal mouth, halitosis, oral keratosis (pre-cancer).
- Immune system conditions such as allergies, asthma, multiple chemical sensitivities, eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions, cancer (breast, etc.; leukemia), susceptibility to infections, antibiotic resistant infection, sinus problems.
- Cardiovascular conditions, including tachycardia, angina, arteriosclerosis, other heart conditions, hypertension and other blood conditions.
- Hormonal problems such as hypothyroidism, adrenal problems, chronic chills, Hashimoto’s, alopecia/hair loss, urinary/ prostrate problems.
- Reproductive problems such as infertility, reduced sperm counts, PMS, spontaneous abortions, birth defects, children with learning disabilities and low IQ, etc.
- Chronic eye conditions, including inflammation/iritis, astigmatism, myopia, cataracts, macular degeneration, color blindness, vision disturbances.
- Stomach/digestive problems, including leaky gut, malabsorption of essential minerals and essential fatty acids, blocked cellular enzymatic processes related to the ATPASE energy function and sulfur oxidation.
- Allergies and immune reactive conditions in children, such as allergies, asthma, eczema, diabetes, autism.
Large numbers of medical and clinical studies, hundreds of thousands of tests by medical labs, scientific panels and government agencies have confirmed that amalgam dental fillings are the largest source of mercury in most people. Studies have also confirmed that other forms of mercury are methylated in the body to methyl mercury by bacteria and other microbes, and that amalgam is the largest source of methyl mercury in most people, even more than fish. Studies have also confirmed that exposures from amalgam are commonly more than the EPA/ATSDR mercury health guidelines. The reason for the high exposure levels from amalgam are mercury’s high volatility – which means it is constantly vaporizing – along with galvanic electric currents caused by mixed metals and EMFs in the mouth that drive mercury and other metals into the body.These are easily measured and have been widely documented.
Mercury’s extreme cytotoxicity and neurotoxicity are major factors in neurological conditions, along with its inhibition of basic enzymatic cellular processes and effects on essential minerals and nutrients in cells. Mercury is also documented to cause imbalances in neurotransmitters related to mood disorders. A direct mechanism involving mercury’s inhibition of cellular enzymatic processes by binding with the hydroxyl radical(SH) in amino acids appears to be a major part of the connection to allergic/immune reactive conditions such as autism, schizophrenia, lupus, eczema and psoriasis, scleroderma, and allergies. Immune reactivity to mercury has been documented by immune reactivity tests to be a major factor in many of the autoimmune conditions.
The studies also document that mercury from amalgam or other sources crosses a woman’s placenta readily and accumulates to levels in the fetus at levels usually higher than in the mother. They also show that mercury in the mother is transferred at significant levels to a breast feeding infant. The fact that children have been exposed to levels of highly toxic mercury thimerosal in vaccinations well beyond government health guidelines for mercury is likewise well documented. Studies document that such mercury exposures can cause developmental conditions and disorders such as autism, ADD, dyslexia, learning disabilities and eczema, among others.
The large epidemiological study NHANES III by the National Institute for Health has shown a significant correlation between several chronic health conditions and having more than average number of dental amalgam surfaces. The conditions in which the number of dental amalgam surfaces were most highly correlated with disease incidence were MS, epilepsy, migraines, mental disorders, diseases of the nervous system, disorders of the thyroid gland, cancer, and infectious diseases. Other conditions where incidence was significantly correlated with having more than the average number of amalgam surfaces are diseases of the male and female genital tracts, the peripheral nervous system, the respiratory system, and the genitourinary system.
There are extensive documented cases in which removal of amalgam fillings led to cure or significant improvement of these serious health problems. Over 60,000 such clinical cases are compiled in the documentation as followed and compiled by doctors. These were not isolated cases of cures. The clinical studies indicate a large majority of most such type cases treated showed significant improvement.
Documentation of these and other studies are available from DAMS at amalgam.org.
DAMS is currently working with thousands of people in the U.S. dealing with serious health effects caused by exposure to mercury from amalgam and urges everyone to find out more about this major problem and to get involved in resolving these health safety issues. DAMS can provide information and help to anyone who is interested or who thinks they might have health problems related to their amalgam fillings.